Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pork

Today I purchased and cooked pork for the first time in my entire life. I learned that curry will stain metal, and that there's a reason they tell you to brush the marinade on, and then put the meat in the pan: the marinade will burn, leaving the smell of burnt honey, soy sauce, curry, and other marinade ingredients long after you have eaten the pork. Thank God for candles.

On the way home from buying pork for dinner, I drove past the Oscar Meyer truck-- yes, the one shaped like a wiener. It was pulling out of a business intersection that no cars ever come out of except during rush hour. I wonder if they were doing a presentation at TDS, one of the local cable companies or for Johnson Bank, the only two office buildings in that plaza. I wanted to stop my car in the middle of the road, walk over to the truck and ask, "What are you doing?! What are your jobs? You get to drive the wiener wagon all day? What are you doing in Madison?" I thought of my friend Jessica on the Aha Moments tour with Mutual of Omaha and her giant air stream and wondered if these people were on a similar mission, only giving out hot dogs instead of recording people's life-changing stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment